People who have issues with their ancestors’ origin should get the right test for themselves. Only the best DNA test for health could offer them impressive results that will help them go on with their lives. Let’s see what is a DNA test in the first place and how it could help you to decide what is the one that is best for your case.
What is a DNA Test?
A DNA test is nothing more than a genetic analysis of your DNA specimens. You can compare them with other DNA specimens available online in a great database formed across the world. You can get a DNA test easily by getting your DNA specimen to specific labs running tests. Usually, body fluids like saliva are used for DNA testing since they have multiple cells with nuclei and DNA inside.
Why Do You Need a DNA Test?
You need a DNA test to be sure that you don’t suffer from a genetic disease that is hereditary. However, most people try to get DNA tests to find their siblings and other relatives that are not aware of their existence. The whole thing started with DNA tests that were run for paternity reasons to ensure who is the father of the kid, especially in trials for paternity and alimony.
Also, these tests are used for children who believe they are adopted to find their real parents.
What Things To Be Aware of When Buying a DNA Test?
When you want to buy the best DNA test for health, you need to find the right kits for your case. Here are some features to be aware of and ensure that you know what you need to buy and for what reason.
- Time to Deliver Results
Only the best health DNA test kit can deliver the first results in less than three business days. However, most of the test kits out there give you a response in five to six weeks, depending on the availability of the DNA lab they are referring to. Search for DNA-related diseases may take much time, while paternity tests can take only a few days to reveal.
- Geographic Locations Covered
Some ancestors and relatives searching for DNA test kits are only good for special regions in the world. For instance, we have kits that are good only for the United States. Others are specific for Europe and other Asian populations. You need to know in advance the population targeted to get the right DNA test kit.
- Chromosomal Test Availability
Not all DNA test kits have a chromosomal availability for genetic diseases. Some genetic diseases are seen on the chromosome sequence, and you need to know in advance if that option is available with the test you intend to buy.
- DNA collection kit
Collecting DNA specimens is hard for some DNA self-test kits. The older ones used a pin to take blood specimens from your fingers. However, that was not a pleasant experience for the users, and the newest kits have a saliva kit. They have a cheek swab that you can take saliva specimens from your mouth painlessly and at zero time.
- Shipping Costs
Searching for the best home DNA test for health, you need to check if they include the shipping costs to the lab. These could be a lot tricky since most labs are in Europe or the United States, and expedited shipping could cost a lot more than the initial kit cost. Most big brands integrate the shipping into the initial cost and develop an online application to send back the results as soon as possible.
- Genetic Diseases Test and Dispositions
Finally, you need to check if your self-DNA test kit will have some genetic diseases test and disposition. That way, you will check among the 50 most prevalent diseases to find the ones that may come to you in your life course and try to eliminate their presence or slow down their progress.
Can You Get a DNA Test Only for Paternity Check?
Only the best DNA test for health is good for paternity checks. You need to buy the one that is more expensive and accurate, giving you results in less than three business days. That is the one that you need to get to have reliable results that would be accepted by a court of law.
The presence of a US FDA-approved DNA lab is a very important aspect you need to take into consideration before buying the test.
Top 8 Best DNA Test For Health - Kits
People who are looking for the best DNA test for health should review this item. It is manufactured by Ancestry DNA, one of the oldest companies in this field, so you know the quality is guaranteed. On the other hand, you don’t have to do much to collect your DNA. Simply spitting on the special kit collector and returning the saliva specimen free of charge to the headquarters is enough.
The company has more than 1,800 regions where the ancestry is shown and collected in previous samples. As a result, the kit will definitely show who your real relatives are within the continent you live and instructions on how to get in touch with them. Additionally, experts will try to fill in your family tree and ensure your privacy at all times.
Pros to Note
- It is one of the few that works with AUTOSOMAL DNA for better results.
- You can get ethnicity breakdowns for all the relatives you will find.
- The kit is safe and needs to get activated upon receipt.
- The tester is easy to spit on and protects it from contamination.
- The company takes time to respond to emails for complaints.
If you want to buy the best health DNA test kit, you should check the Choice DNA testing. It is one of the few that could reach you through airmail and have the best privacy in the world for you. There is also the chance to download an application for iOS or Android and get the DNA results in real time without waiting for the mail delivery.
All results come to your smartphone within two to six business days; that is a world record. For DNA collection, you can use the mouth swab that will collect saliva from your mouth and ensure you will return it in a sealed envelope. All DNA tests are sealed and signed by the Genetics official to ensure the results are legit. One of the innovations remains the customer care specialist who will accompany you through the whole process of DNA collection and matching.
Pros to Note
- DNA collection remains a painless process.
- All results are tested twice to ensure that accuracy is given.
- Communication with the company is great since you have an account manager.
- You can find the test kit anywhere online or in physical stores.
- Sometimes the online application would not work to give you the results.
Family Tree DNA has one of the best DNA tests for health kits that are now available on the market. Users can order the kit online or get it from the local pharmacy stores. The kit is sensitive to geo-locations, so you need to know if you are looking for siblings and ancestors in the right continent.
You will get a DNA collector that works with saliva and is easy to collect from your mouth. The sample is sealed in a special container that cannot be contaminated with foreign DNA until it safely reaches the lab.
Its innovation remains the chromosome painter that paints with different colors all your ancestors who are close. The final verdict will be available to you through regular mail within four or six weeks upon the receipt of the DNA samples.
Pros to Note
- The lab follows a high-standard process for DNA matching.
- Privacy is important for the lab and the DNA specimens.
- It comes with a convenient video to show you how to collect DNA easily.
- The kit has FDA approval for the sincereness of the DNA samples results.
- The chromosome color program may not work properly for all DNA specimens coming to the lab.
If you want to find your relatives faster and more securely, you need to get MyHeritage brand DNA tests. It is voted as one of the best home DNA test for health since it shows you all you need to know in the least possible time. The test kit is available online or in all convenience stores, and you don’t need to refrigerate it to work. Additionally, it has a database that comes back to many generations and various locations across the five continents.
There is a simple cheek swab you use to pick the saliva specimen and get it inside the sterilized container. After that, you can submit the DNA to the lab for free and wait for the results in a few weeks. You may also benefit from the existence of an online application where other relatives could have subscribed. There you can match with others and connect with them to come closer to your roots and reunite with your family.
Pros to Note
- The test is trusted by millions of people worldwide.
- There is a 42-language availability to cover all people.
- You get access to a robust DNA database with many chances to find your relatives.
- Users’ privacy is MyHeritage top priority.
- Postage costs and further review costs could apply to some regions when buying this DNA test.
With SelfDecode, you have one of the best DNA test for health you can find online. The kit is small and easy to carry with you all the time. It is also discrete and gives you a small cheek swab to collect saliva and return it to the lab. Users have the chance to test all their 23 sets of chromosomes and find if they are relatives with others no matter where they reside on Earth.
The kit has many databases across the Earth and much information coming from others who have already received their results.
With the results about your relatives, you may also have access to personalized health problems that could derive from your genetic analysis. That’s why it’s better to register with the online application that the company offers to be sure that you know all about the hereditary disease predisposition you may have and alter your lifestyle to avoid it.
Pros to Note
- Personalized insights are there for all users to improve their health.
- DNA reports can show you who your relatives are and where they live.
- All DNA results come in encrypted servers with no chance of information leak.
- All shipping costs are included in the original product price.
- The software could be hard to navigate, especially when you have the Self Decoder Passwords.
TellmeGen is a rather new company that has produced some of the best DNA tests available online. The tests can give you more than 400 reports about your health and your ancestors or relatives that are still alive. You get inside the system and enroll your DNA specimen so that you can receive regular updates on what happens with others who test their DNA samples.
On the other hand, you don’t have to know specific medical treatments to collect the DNA. All you need is to have the cheek swab and ensure you collect some saliva from your mouth.
Then all the shipping costs are integrated into the original price. As a result, you only have to download the DNA application for free and wait for the lab results in less than four weeks. The test has a 99% accuracy, which is one of the highest in the market.
Pros to Note
- You get more than 750,000 specimens to combine your DNA with.
- Newer reports will add no other costs to your bill.
- DNA-connect software is always there to give you more information for free.
- Users get access to 50-plus genetic predispositions to lethal hereditary diseases.
- The lab has a database that works better for Eastern European Countries than for any other in the world.
People who are looking for a fast and affordable way to check their ancestors’ status should definitely work with the 23andMe Health DNA kit. It’s available online and can give you the most accurate results within several weeks after the initial specimen shipping. When you want to take saliva, it only takes one minute, and you have a sterile container to send it back to the lab.
All the shipping costs are covered, and you will soon receive more information about your health status and your potential relatives.
The health-related report has to do with the genetic diseases you may have a disposition for when it comes to a chromosomal anomaly. Users’ privacy is also celebrated by keeping all the DNA results in locked and secured servers for eternity.
Pros to Note
- You got access to a great network of DNA givers that could be your siblings.
- There is a free online application to receive your results.
- Users can compare their DNA results to their lifestyles.
- Personalized genetic insights are available upon request for users.
- The kit is useful only for US residents as all the databases lie within a US ground.
When you want to have accurate results about your DNA relatives, you can start by buying the My Forever DNA self-test kit. That could be used as a legal paternity kit that would be accepted by courts in the United States. It has more than one tester to test the kid and the two alleged fathers for results clarity and preciseness. The test is oriented to have a sensitivity for paternity tests rather than relatives and health-related issues.
The most impressive thing is that is gives you results in less than three business days which is a world record. So people who are eager to know if they have a legal child should buy the test and simply collect saliva from their internal cheeks side. That test costs less than others and is readily available online.
Pros to Note
- All the shipping costs from and to the lab are covered by the initial price.
- The US Lab is accredited by FDA and other authorities.
- Thirty-four different DNA markers are there available for comparison to your DNA specimens.
- All results are confidential since you receive multiple keys to identify you and unlock them.
- You got limited access to health diseases predisposition.